Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Memory for Father's Day

So, I had so much fun creating the shadowbox card for my mom on Mother's Day that I thought I should probably do one for my dad as well for Father's Day. So, while I was going through some old pictures last week, I found one of my brothers and I with my dad that was taken, I believe, in 1963. I am pretty sure we are at my grandmother's cottage at Houghton Lake, Michigan. I have so many great memories from her cottage. We used to LOVE to go there because she had a pump outside and she kept a bucket of water just inside the door on the counter. Right above it hung a dipper that you had to use to get a drink. And believe me - we drank. Not always because we were thirsty either - just because it was fun to use the dipper :) But, back to the Father's Day card. This is what I came up with:






I had so much fun with this card because it is what I call a "hybrid" card. It is difficult to see behind the photo, but I created my own Designer Series Paper using My Digital Studio. I love using this program. You can do the absolute cooolest stuff!!! It's a must have for scrapbooking and card making. Anyway, I chose the Always Artichoke Script paper for my background and printed it on Very Vanilla cardstock. I matted the photo onto Always Artichoke cardstock. The card base and frame were made with Confetti Cream cardstock and the edge was done with the Pinking Hearts Border Punch. I cut the letters from Always Artichoke with my Big Shot (have you ordered yours yet???) using the Go Go Boots Alphabet dies and attached them using the 2-Way Glue Pen. The stamped image on the corners of the frame is from the Elements of Style stamp set - and no it really isn't the only stamp set I own, it's just that it is so neat that I always seem to choose that one :) The inside of the card is truly hybrid:






I had a really difficult time getting the color to look right with the way the sun was shining through my windows and the way things were reflecting. But, I chose the same Always Artichoke Script paper and just changed the opacity down to 80% which made it print a bit lighter. Then I added my own text - I just love this little quote. I have seen it on plaques and cross stitch pictures and tons of other things. This is what is so cool about using My Digital Studio. You can create whatever verse you want and just print it out. I could have printed 12x12 sheets of this Designer Series Paper by sending the file to the print company that has contracted with Stampin' Up. But, I just needed a couple of small pieces and it actually printed pretty close the actual Always Artichoke. The printer does guarantee they will match for you. I will definitely be using it more and more in the future.

But for this card, the supply list is:

Stamp Set: Elements of Style

Cardstock: Confetti Cream, Always Artichoke, Very Vanilla

Ink: Always Artichoke

Accessories: Big Shot with Clear Circle Die, Go Go Boots Alphabet die set, Sticky Strip, Stampin' Dimensionals, My Digital Studio, 2-Way Glue Pen

This was so simple and quick to do. I hope it inspires a trip down memory lane for my dad like it did for me :) I love it when a handmade card offers the opportunity to reflect and enjoy family. 'Til next time.....

Happy Stamping,

Laurie

Remember to get your mammogram!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Graphic 45 Mother's Day Card

We are still on lockdown here in Michigan, so I have been digging into my stash of papers. I had planned to use the beautiful Time To Flouri...