Thursday, May 6, 2010

Memory Preservation

As some of you may already know, May is National Scrapbooking Month. So, I hope you don't mind if I share some scrapbooking projects this month. I love to do these! I have always been accused of taking too many pictures ---- but I don't care :) I love to save memories. And I have so much fun finding new ways to display those memories. After making the shadowbox frame of the picture of my parents, I got the bug to dig through some old photos that my mom had given me a couple of years ago. Here is one that I found:




This is a picture of my three brothers and I that I believe was taken in 1964. Wow, have we changed :) I decided it was the perfect picture for creating a scrapbook page. And, since all three of my brothers are grandpas, I had to stay with the vintage style :) So, I started by layering a piece of Soft Suede textured cardstock onto one of the pieces from the Sweet Pea Designer Series Paper pack that was in the Occasions Mini. I layered both of those onto a sheet of Not Quite Navy Textured cardstock. One of the really cool new products in the Summer Mini Catalog is the Smooch Spritz sprays. I used a sponge and the vintage stencil from the mini catalog and added this image in all four corners:




Then, I sprayed the entire piece with the Log Cabin Smooch Spritz. If you look close, you can see the copper-toned shimmer on the spots. It is absolutely beautiful in real life. These sprays take a bit of practice to learn to use at first, but they add a gorgeous shimmer to your project. I just suggest using them outdoors or at least in a space where you don't mind overspray. And, it does easily wash off your arm :) I also like to have a title for my scrapbook pages. This picture just couldn't be called anything but "family." So, I dug through the trenches of the craft room and found some onboard letters. The set is called Loads of Letters. The package had not even been opened!! Can you believe it??? :) Anyway, I picked the letters I needed and colored them in Not Quite Navy with sponge daubers. Normally, they recommend using craft ink to do this but I found the classic ink worked just fine if you put two coats on. Then I sponged around the edges with Chocolate Chip ink and it came out like this:




Tooo Coool!!!! Just love it. I mounted the letters using Mini Glue Dots onto a sponged strip of patterend paper layered onto Not Quite Navy textured cardstock. I didn't think I wanted extensive journaling with this photo so I looked through the stamp sets I have but just couldn't find anything that jumped out at me. So, I decided to make this a "hybrid page" and opened up My Digital Studio on my computer. This is Stampin' Up's AWESOME digital scrapbooking program. And you can do so much more than just scrapbooking but that is a post for another day :) I created my own design starting with a blank page and added a textured background in Soft Suede. Then I typed in my text and printed it. The textured border came out just the right size to also layer my photo onto, so it just made the journaling and photo connect with each other perfectly. It is so cool because it looks like textured cardstock but is totally smooth!! ....




I chose these words for us because I have met a lot of people who say they just don't get along with their brothers or sisters. My brothers and I have never been that way. Even though we all lead very busy lives and the youngest of us lives far away, we all keep in touch and try to see each other whenever possible. And we have made the choice to be friends. Family is important to all of us and I am grateful to my parents for teaching us that lesson in life. It is true that friends may come and go but your family is forever! And I am very thankful for mine. So, this is a look at the entire page when finished:




I finished it off by adding some 1 1/4-inch Chocolate Chip striped grosgrain ribbon hooked through a jumbo grommet with a couple of Chocolate Chip corduroy buttons. Super simple and easy! I am thinking this would be a great Christmas present for each of my brothers this year :) It's a good thing I scanned that photo and I may need to stock up on those 12x12 shadowbox frames.

I hope you have enjoyed sharing some memories with me today and hopefully gotten some inspiration for preserving your own. 'Til next time......

Happy Stamping,

Laurie

Remember to get your mammogram!



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this page! It allows the photo stand out but still has so many cool details!

    ReplyDelete

Graphic 45 Mother's Day Card

We are still on lockdown here in Michigan, so I have been digging into my stash of papers. I had planned to use the beautiful Time To Flouri...