Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Project is Finished!!

I have to say that I am officially addicted to the vintage style - thanks, Sandi for introducing it to me. So, my cousin e-mailed me some pictures of my parents that were taken in the early 1950's just before they were married. Well, I just knew that I had to do something with them. Since the photos are in black and white, it just screamed vintage - an "old" technique for an "old" photo of some "old" people......Mom will love it! In fact, I am sitting here in Mid-Michigan and I can hear her sweet voice all the way from Santee, California - "WHO ARE YOU CALLING OLD??!!!" LOL!! Love you, Mom. But seriously, that is exactly what she is saying!! :)

So, on to the project. I am going to build to the final reveal by showing some highlights up close - so, no fair scrolling ahead!! :) The first picture tells the story in a nutshell. I could not have found a more perfect verse for them. They have been married 56 years and it all started with a little flirting. A beautiful love has grown over the years. I added some texture by running a piece of Not Quite Navy cardstock through my Big Shot using the new Square Lattice embossing folder and then sponged Chocolate Chip ink around the edges for aging. I stamped the verse in Not Quite Navy ink on Very Vanilla cardstock and sponged that with Chocolate Chip ink as well.




In the lower right section, I cut a piece of the new Presto Patterns Specialty Paper. This stuff is soooo cool!! It comes as pure white paper and you can do a variety of techniques to make the design appear. I sponged the paper with Sahara Sand ink to bring out the design (you can see it in white) and then lightly sponged Chocolate Chip around. I spritzed it using the Not Quite Navy and Chocolate Chip markers using the Color Spritzer Tool. I punched the top edge with the Scallop Trim Border Punch and then sponged along the edge with Not Quite Navy and Chocolate Chip. I stamped the flowers from the Elements of Style stamp set onto the Presto paper and over the edge of the photo.




Then I decided I would try my hand at making those gorgeous paper roses that I have seen all over the Internet so I went to work. I used Not Quite Navy cardstock and spritzed it with the color spritzer tool in the same color and then sponged Chocolate Chip around the edges. I added an extra piece to the bottom to make mine a bit fuller. I will post the complete directions later. I made some of those fun baby roses using the Floral Fushion sizzlit die and the Big Shot that I used on the Shadowbox card for my cousin's anniversary. I sponged Very Vanilla cardstock with both Not Quite Navy and Chocolate Chip all over before I cut them out and then did the edges a little heavier with just Chocolate Chip. I used the Little Leaves sizzlit for the leaves and cut them out of Not Quite Navy and sponged Chocolate Chip around the edges. I learned how to color the pearls in the pretties kit to match whatever you are making and will post those directions later as well. These are actually in the upper right corner.




All of these were mounted onto a base of Not Quite Navy layered with the beautiful Bella Bleu Desiger Series Paper. I am so afraid that will be on the Last Chance list next month so I am going to be stocking up on that. I LOVE the patterns in this package! It is a bit difficult to see but I spritzed the background paper using the Log Cabin Smooch Spritz in the new Summer Mini Catalog. It takes a little practice to learn to use this but it dries in a bronze-colored finish. It really adds a cool touch to the antiquing process. This is what it looked like just before the final step:



And then, I added it to an 8 x 10 shadowbox frame. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it in a position not to get shadows. It makes it look a little yellow in the corners. Although it makes it look even older, all in all, I think it came out pretty awesome:




My complete list of supplies is:

Stamp Set:
Elements of Style, Full of Life

Cardstock:
Not Quite Navy, Bella Blue DSP, Presto Patterns Specialty, Very Vanilla

Ink:
Chocolate Chip, Not Quite Navy, Sahara Sand

Accessories:
Log Cabin Smooch Spritz, Color Spritzer Tool, Not Quite Navy and Chocolate Chip Markers, Very Vanilla Satin Ribbon, Pretties Kit, Stampin' Sponges, Sponge Daubers, Clear Emboss Powder, Heat Tool, Mini Glue Dots, Stampin' Dimensionals, Big Shot, Little Leaves and Floral Fushion sizzlit dies, Square Lattice Embossing Folder, Tombo Glue, Bone Folder

I just love the way this turned out. My hubby asked me if I was going to send it to my parents - I think I may have to make another one because I want to put this one on my mantle. But, I know once she sees it, she will want it too :) So, that is what has been occupying my time over the past couple of days and I am really looking forward to doing some more shadowbox projects - so keep checking back. 'Til next time.......

Happy Stamping,

Laurie

Remember to get your mammogram!

3 comments:

  1. Laurie, this is absolutely awesome!! Your mom is really going to treasure this -- and so will you. So much detail and it was so worth it because it all pulled together beautifully. So now I can CASE you -- OK?? Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Yes I want this one, you can always make another for you. (LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Mom - I get the message :) I will have one in the mail to you this week. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Graphic 45 Mother's Day Card

We are still on lockdown here in Michigan, so I have been digging into my stash of papers. I had planned to use the beautiful Time To Flouri...