Sunday, June 13, 2010

Stained Glass Butterflies

Whenever possible I try to teach a new technique at my monthly card class. I know there are a ton of new ones, but sometimes it is fun just to bring one back that you haven't done in awhile. I was on Gretchen Barron's blog one day and she had used one that I love but had just added to those on the back burner :) The Stained Glass technique is really simple. She had used it on the single butterfly stamp that is featured in the Summer Mini catalog. It sparked my imagination to come up with this:





I changed the colors that she used but I really liked the basic layout, so I chose to stick with her example. To do this technique, you stamp your image onto Vellum Cardstock with Versamark ink and then emboss with Black Emboss Powder using your heat tool. Then you turn your cardstock over and color the image on the backside using your markers. I cut out the images and layered them over a stamped image using dimensionals. Gretchen's idea to do this is great because you don't have to try to cut out those tiny antennae because they are already stamped. Here is a closer view:





Sorry that it appears a little blurry - I was pretty close with my camera :) I just love the color combination - Pacific Point, Tangerine Tango, and Daffodil Delight. The first two are returning In Colors and we never had markers for them before. I am so excited to have them now because these were two of my favorite colors!! And I just love Daffodil Delight. I was so concerned when I heard we were losing Summer Sun and Yo Yo Yellow, but this replacement could not have been more perfect!! I will miss the very subtle Barely Banana, however. You couldn't beat that when you needed something very pastel. But, for now, So Saffron will suffice :) Where there is a will, there is a way.

The complete list of supplies:

Stamp Set:
All a Flutter, Watercolor Trio

Cardstock:
Daffodil Delight, Pacific Point, Tangerine Tango, Whisper White, Vellum (cardstock weight)

Ink:
Versamark, Pacific Point, Jet Black Stazon

Accessories:
Scallop Trim Border Punch, Black Emboss Powder, Heat Tool, Pumpkin Pie 1/4-inch Grosgrain Ribbon, Stampin' Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots

This card was actually very simple to make and yet appears as though I worked for hours....almost like making Rice Krispie treats LOL!!! It is fun to use different techniques and styles - it keeps things interesting. Don't ever be afraid to try something new and be a little adventurous in your card making and scrapbooking :) 'Til next time.....

Happy Stamping,

Laurie

Remember to get your mammogram!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the color combination! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love your butterfly Laurie!! Your coloring makes it look so real, just like they are sitting on your card. I haven't gotten this stamp, but can see that I should.

    ReplyDelete

Graphic 45 Mother's Day Card

We are still on lockdown here in Michigan, so I have been digging into my stash of papers. I had planned to use the beautiful Time To Flouri...