Saturday, June 12, 2010

Masculine Birthday (yes, they do have them)

On my daily "journey through the blogs", I have been noticing alot of challenges to come up with Masculine cards. It does seem that when I think of designing a card, I tend to focus on my female friends and family members more. I guess I just always think they will enjoy receiving a handmade card whereas, the men just look at them and throw them away :) Besides, I don't think they would enjoy all of the "flowery" images I have in my stamp sets :) But, as I have been doing more and more designing, my husband has been taking more of an interest in what I make. So, I have been trying the past few weeks to give a bit more of my attention to masculine cards. With Father's Day fast approaching, I have done a couple for the occasion - but whether they like it (or admit it) or not, men do have birthdays!! :) So, today I pulled out a stamp set that I hadn't used in quite some time to make this:






I did a class with Ronda Wade this past week and we made a card using this stamp set. Funny, that I just focused on this for fall. But, it is perfect year 'round for the guys in our lives. Especially here in Michigan where so many men hunt every year. If nothing else, it might motivate them to start preparing in advance for those hunting weekends - then we would have dates for our stamp camps much earlier this year :) Yes, ladies - always thinkin' !!! LOL! Any excuse to stamp is a good one, in my opinion!

Well, back on track here. I totally copied Ronda's idea of placing the pheasant, leaves, and I have no idea what those other things are - they kind of look like some weed with a seed or berry on the branch - who knows? They just look cool. So, I stamped the pheasant with Jet Black Stazon, the leaves with Not Quite Navy, and those berry things with Cherry Cobbler (LOVE this color!!!) which is one of the new colors. I stamped the sentiment using the new Level 3 Hostess Set called Occasional Quotes. This set is so awesome!!! And one of the benefits of being a demonstrator is the opportunity to purchase one Level 2 and one Level 3 Hostess Set during the preorder period. That is happening this month and you can get in on it for half price!!! This month only, you can purchase a special starter kit for only $99. Remember, you are not obligated in any way to hold parties or events. You can simply join just to enjoy the discount on your purchases. This is such a great deal and it all ends on June 30th. Contact me today or go to my website to join my team using the authorization code 57lolly. So, back to the card....

The complete list of supplies:

Stamp Set: Autumn Days, Occasional Quotes

Cardstock: Not Quite Navy, Basic Black, Cherry Cobbler, Naturals Ivory

Ink: Jet Black Stazon, Cherry Cobbler, Not Quite Navy

Accessories: Big Shot (order yours today!), Square Lattice Impressions Folder (a perfect reason to order a Big Shot), Basic Black 1 1/4-inch Striped Grosgrain Ribbon, Natural Hemp Twine, 5/16-inch Jumbo Neutrals Brads, 3/16-inch Hole Punch, Stampin' Sponges, Stampin' Dimensionals

I know it is a bit difficult to see in the picture, but I sponged across the corners of the Cherry Cobbler Cardstock with Cherry Cobbler ink after embossing just to add some depth to the texture -so much better in person! I know we all say that, but it really is true. And the Cherry Cobbler is an amazingly rich-looking color and the picture just does not do it justice! It is gorgeous! I tied a piece of hemp twine around a strip of black 1 1/4-inch striped grosgrain ribbon to change it up a bit from tying a knot or a bow. When I first saw this ribbon in the catalog last year, I wasn't quite sure I would like it. But, I love this ribbon. It is really soft and super easy to work with!!! I can't wait to get it in every color once the new catalog sales period starts. But, until then, keep your husbands and fathers in mind this week for "their day" coming up next Sunday and create a handmade card for them - they really will appreciate your effort. 'Til next time.....

Happy Stamping,

Laurie

Remember to get your mammogram!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Graphic 45 Mother's Day Card

We are still on lockdown here in Michigan, so I have been digging into my stash of papers. I had planned to use the beautiful Time To Flouri...