Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Sweet Shoppe

As I have told you, I love ice cream! It is one of my favorite things about summer. And there are so many awesome flavors that didn't use to exist. When I was a kid, it was pretty much chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, neopolitan, or sherbet. Nowadays, ice cream has anything but the kitchen sink in it! :) My absolute favorites are Breyer's Black Raspberry Chocolate and Coldstone Creamery's Founder's Favorite. I just don't dare buy either one very often because it quickly becomes an addiction issue - once I start eating, I just can't stop!!! LOL! So, since I shouldn't eat it, I have to find other ways to enjoy it - like this:




I have seen this card done a few different ways and decided to incorporate all that I have seen into one. And, staying true to my heritage, used chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry for my cones. I love the little "counter." It feels like I could just pull up a stool and enjoy :) Here is a view from the side:




I really wish this was totally my own idea but it isn't. Oh, to be this creative! But, for now I will continue to draw my inspiration from others.

The full list of supplies:

Stamp Set:
Sweet Scoops

Cardstock:
Whisper White, Melon Mambo, Creamy Caramel, Very Vanilla

Ink:
Early Espresso, Close to Cocoa, Very Vanilla Craft, Pretty In Pink

Accessories:
Scallop Border Punch, Word Window Punch, Stampin' Dimensionals, Close to Cocoa Marker, Sticky Strip

To make the awning, I cut a strip of Whisper White cardstock 1" x 4 1/8". I punched 11 word windows. The easiest way I found to put it together was to lay the strip on my grid paper vertically so I could center the punched pieces onto it across the 1-inch width. This will also make it a bit easier to get everything straight. They hang over about 3/8-inch on each side. Be sure to butt them up tightly to the previous one so you have no gaps. Then score right along the edge of the strip on both sides. That gives a little strength to the awning and allows it to look finished. I laid a piece of sticky strip the full length on the back of one side right next to the white strip and attached the awning to the top of the card by the fold. If you put the sticky strip tight to that strip, none of it will be uncovered between the scallops. Once you have it attached, you fold outward on the scored line and then fold the other scalloped edges down. So cute!!! For the counter, I simply figured out how tall I wanted it to be (2 1/2") and then added 3/4-inch to it. I scored it at 3/4-inch and folded that piece forward after attaching it to the card front. Be sure not to put any adhesive on the 3/4-inch section. I used the Close to Cocoa marker to draw some random lines on the Creamy Caramel piece in an attempt to give it a "wood look." It was just too plain otherwise :) Istamped the sentiment with Early Espresso ink and then I stamped the chocolate and strawberry scoops on Whisper White cardstock and stamped the Vanilla with craft ink on Very Vanilla cardstock, cut them out, and mounted them over the cones with dimensionals. I got too close to the counter with my center cone so it kind of looks like someone took a bite out of the bottom :) Better start watching for drips! Well, I hope you have enjoyed our trip to the Sweet Shoppe - go ahead and have a double dip on me!! :) 'Til next time.....

Happy Stamping,

Laurie

Remember to get your mammogram!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I love ice cream also!! And loven' your card even tho it is making me wish I had some ice cream right now. Love that awning.

    ReplyDelete

Graphic 45 Mother's Day Card

We are still on lockdown here in Michigan, so I have been digging into my stash of papers. I had planned to use the beautiful Time To Flouri...