Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Open Sea Hybrid Card

I have always been fascinated by clipper ships. When I was in high school (way back when), string art was "the" thing to do. So, I made a clipper ship. It took me a couple of months because you had to pound in a bunch of little nails and then wrap your string around them in a certain pattern to make the sails and the rigging. It was so cool when it was finished. I kept for a number of years and eventually it made it into the garage sale box with so many other "treasures."

Needless to say, I was thrilled with The Open Sea stamp set in the Summer Mini Catalog! I knew I would be using this one a lot!! And then to my utter delight, it was offered as a digital download for My Digital Studio :) Cha-ching!!!! So excited to have this around forever!!

So, for my card class, I knew I wanted to make a card with this. I had done one before but I wanted the ship to be the total focus of my card. I played around with it in My Digital Studio and was able to resize it so it would "fill" the card front just the way I wanted it to. I printed it 6 on a page on Naturals White cardstock and we made this hybrid card:





The complete list of supplies:

Stamp Set:
The Open Sea


Cardstock:
Early Espresso, Not Quite Navy, Naturals White, Nautical Expedition Designer Series Paper


Ink:
Early Espresso


Accessories: My Digital Studio, Early Espresso/White Baker's Twine, Stampin' Dimensionals, Blender Pen, Watercolor Crayons - Not Quite Navy, Baja Breeze, Cherry Cobbler


I love the way this turned out - however, I must caution you to make sure your compass is straight when you stamp it..lol!! My was definitely off kilter. Must have been in the Bermuda Triangle :) I think using the Naturals White as my card base really allowed the ship to stand out and it was easy to use the blend pens without lifting the paper. And the Baker's Twine was just the perfect embellishment.

I was down on Shelter Island (one of my favorite places) last weekend and saw a sailboat much like this one sailing around the harbor. Note to self - always carry a camera when you go for a drive because you never know where you will end up. I took a picture with my phone but don't have the cord to download it to my computer :( But, I e-mailed it to myself - thank goodness for data plans on cell phones :) This is what I saw:




Here is a little closer view. There was a bunch of people in my way so I had to tilt my phone just a bit to get the ship - plus it was a bit breezy :)



What a way to see San Diego Bay up close and personal :) I would LOVE to go sailing on a boat like this one. But even just watching it from shore was pretty cool! It was so awesome in person!!

Well, I hope you have enjoyed your visit today and that you are inspired to explore more possibilities with stamping :) Thanks so much for stopping by so I could share a little bit of my passion for clipper ships with you. 'Til next time........................,

Happy Stamping,

Laurie

Remember to get your mammogram!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful card and beautiful pictures Laurie!! The weather is always so awesome out there, but I just can't handle the cost of living, smog, driving, earthquakes, and fires. Now I wouldn't mind flying to visit -- how awesome that would be!!

    ReplyDelete

Graphic 45 Mother's Day Card

We are still on lockdown here in Michigan, so I have been digging into my stash of papers. I had planned to use the beautiful Time To Flouri...