Sunday, May 1, 2011

Strength and Hope

In addition to the fabulous Summer Mini Catalog going live today, Stampin' Up is also kicking off the "Strength and Hope" Campaign.

I don't normally share alot about my personal life on my blog, but today I hope you will allow me to. In December of 2009, I had my very first abnormal mammogram. Three days later, I was in a room having a biopsy done. For the following 2 weeks, every worst-case scenario went through my mind. I didn't share any of this with my family because I just did not want them worrying until I knew the results. I spent Christmas Eve with my brothers and their families just like I had every other year but in the back of my mind, I was wondering how many more I might have with them. I cannot describe how I felt when I found it that I only had a benign cyst. There are just no words for the relief that flooded me. Shortly after that, my cousin's wife found out that her cancer was back. She had been treated for breast cancer about 2 years prior to that and this time it had come back in her brain. We lost her late that spring just 2 weeks before her son graduated from high school. Ironically, she is the one who referred me to the doctor who had the feeling that I needed an ultrasound in addition to that mammogram and that is how they found the cyst. Had he not done that, who knows how my story would have been told. So, I am grateful for this opportunity to help the fight against breast cancer through the Strength and Hope Campaign.

I love the stamp set and for each one that is sold through the Summer Mini Catalog sales period from May 1 - August 30, Stampin' Up will donate $2 to Breast Cancer Research. You can purchase yours here to help fight this horrible disease. This is a card I created with it for my March card class:






The complete list of supplies:

Stamp Set: Strength and Hope, Elements of Style

Cardstock: Blushing Bride, Perfect Plum, Naturals Ivory

Ink: Blushing Bride, Perfect Plum

Accessories: Blushing Bride 1/2-inch Stitched-Poly Ribbon, Neutrals 5/16-inch Jumbo Brads, Paper Piercing Tool and Mat, Mini Glue Dots

I used a mini glue dot on the back side of the ribbon to hold the to of the loop down against the card. I really love this stamp set and I hope you do as well. Double satisfaction from a purchase is always nice - and that is what you get with this. Your purchase will allow Stampin' Up to add to their donation for Breast Cancer Research. I hope you will consider making that purchase.

Now for another update. I posted that I had to return to Michigan at the end of March due to my husband's health. Well, we recently found out that his cancer has returned. He was originally diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, which is a cancer of the bone marrow, in November 2001. He has been in remission for about 6 years. We always knew that it would come back, we were just hoping it would take longer. His type of cancer is not curable so we just do what we can to put it in remission for whatever length of time we can get. He will most likely start treatment in a couple of months which will involve several months of chemotherapy and then another stem cell transplant. I will avoid the gruesome details but please keep us in your prayers. Like I said, I don't normally share quite this much personal stuff, but cancer is not a discriminating disease - it affects all of us in one way or another. I have been an advocate and volunteer with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society as a result of Jim's diagnosis. Whatever we can do to spread awareness and caring is just as essential as making monetary donations for research. Don't worry, I won't get on my soapbox - I just wanted to share with all of you.

I hope you enjoy the card I shared today and I apologize for any depression I might have caused. I appreciate all of you who visit my blog and I look forward to sharing more with you. 'Til next time........................................,

Happy Stamping,

Laurie

Remember to get your mammogram!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Graphic 45 Mother's Day Card

We are still on lockdown here in Michigan, so I have been digging into my stash of papers. I had planned to use the beautiful Time To Flouri...